We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

May 5, 2007

Visit From Grandpa

My Dad left yesterday after a four day visit. He is becoming more and more a grandpa each time he sees Alder. It's interesting to watch him see his grandson and how he is amazed by the changes in him since January. I guess I've gotten used to Alder's constant changes and new skills but to my Dad they were all new and thrilling. We didn't do a lot but had fun, ate good food, and talked. It was really lucky that he was around Thursday afternoon, I suddenly got one of those brain rattling headaches (damn sugary dessert) and all I wanted to do was sleep a little. Kevin was in school but my dad just took Alder and played for a few hours. It was magic to get to sleep off the headache. I was well enough afterwards to make a big curry dinner, his favorite.

Here are some pictures, click on them to see them larger.


Grandpa and Alder at the playground.



Alder loves the feeling of sand through his fingers.



Half of this playground is large boulders arranged to look like water animals, the rocks are only carved in occasional areas to accent the natural shapes.



After the playground a yummy lunch at Devils' Food.

No comments: