We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

May 11, 2007

Just a Day in the Sun

Since we got the bike trailer Alder and I have barely gotten in the car. It is so nice to be able to get around town faster than walking but with out driving. Today was a little much, we were meeting Kate (godmother) to go for a bike ride and to the Botanic Gardens plant sale across town. This meant that we rode eight miles before we started.

The day was good. Playground time with a second adult to chase him around. Discovering how to climb ladders (doesn't he know he is supposed to walk first?). Picnic in the shade. Godmama Kate carrying Alder as we walked through the gardens. Of course that part gave me serious garden envy. Meeting up with Papa for Brazilian Limonade (one of the earths greatest inventions).

Alder is really good in the trailer but we were in and out of it for eight hours. Even a mellow kid like him has his limit. Luckily we caught up with Kevin near school and got a ride home.

It's hard for me to remember that I have to shorten my rides now that I have him with me. It used to be that if I had a free day I would just head out. If it got too much I would jump on the bus. But with a trailer the bus isn't an option.

So we're finally home and both exhausted and well sunned (one of us is so thoroughly dirty that he was sticking to himself). I can only hope that it doesn't get as hot this summer as usual (reason number three that we are leaving Denver: average summer daily temp in in the mid 90s!)

Unfortunately I forgot to put the card back in my camera so no pictures.

No comments: