We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

May 6, 2007

Multi-person bikes

I was just reading Blue-Skies-Farm blog and found this great post about multi seat bicycling. It reminded me why we have a bike trailer and only one car. Most of our families don't like the fact that only have one car, and they don't believe us when we tell them that there are many days that it doesn't get driven.

I can understand Kevin's family who is from a semi-rural area but my family is from New York city where they use their cars about once a week. We have most stuff we need in walking distance from our house and most of our friends live right along the route of the bus that stops two blocks from here.

While we can take the bus, it is expensive ($3 round trip) which is more than parking at the main library. But now that we have the bike trailer I feel that Alder and I have a lot more freedom to go exploring. In fact we're off in about an hour down to the river trail.

No comments: