We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Sep 7, 2007

...and the title was

Cover Image

I realized that when I wrote about words the other day I did not mention the name of the book that I was reading that was so inspiring. It is The Book of Salt by Monique Truong. It is the fictionalized story of Gertrude Stein and Alice B Tolkas' cook. From a first person point of view the story interweaves his current life as their servant as well as the story of how he came to France from Vietnam. It is both sensual and historical. What always amazes me is when authors are able to write a cohesive story without a strait time line. Truong jumps back and forth between three or four different periods in Bihn's life and it doesn't get confusing.

It even inspired me to pick up a copy of the Autobiography of Alice B Tolkas at the library sale I was at last weekend. [I was good... mainly... only two books for me, one for Kevin, and well fourteen for Alder]

No comments: