We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Sep 19, 2007

Alder Update


That was a year ago on a trail near Mt Evans. Today the two of them went off on another hiking trip so I could get some work done [hmm, then why am I blogging?] Of course now Alder hikes a good portion of the time. He's growing and changing so much now. Last night we were having some quiet playing time in his room, I was knitting while he played and I looked up to see that he was making a tower of blocks. Then this morning I offered him another cereal biscuit and he clearly said 'yes'. Of course when I asked him again he went back to his 'gu-a' that means yes or over there.

Since we returned from Hermit's Island he has started to spend bits of time in serious play by himself. Where he will be quietly absorbed in something for up to fifteen minutes without even checking where we are. I wonder if it has helped to get rid of over half the stuff that was in his room giving him more of a peaceful place to play.

He really doesn't need a lot of toys for playing with. We discovered this on our trip, we had only brought a few sand toys and a stuffed elephant and he played with it maybe a total of five minutes. He is much more interested in his environment and the real things of life than toys.



On other side of the Alder updates is his new need for movement when we are out. We met my parents at a the Williams College of Art this past weekend and Alder only made it for about ten minutes before he and I were doing laps on the stairs. I used to be able to have long walks in galleries with him on my chest but those times are over for now, he does better outside. I'll have to save museums for my rare solo days and focus on being outside with him.

I really need to go write that article now.

No comments: