We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Aug 14, 2007

Visual Verbalism

When I am tired or trying to stay focused on something, like when I am at a lecture or driving listening to NPR. My mind starts to see the words written out in front of my eyes. Sometimes it's like a game where I try to keep up with the speaker, trying to catch each word. Other days it just happens. Mainly I just put this in the same category as yes I am a little weird (as my cousins reminded me in their birthday card). But just chalking it up to weirdness doesn't really give it meaning, if I did that I would not ever get to understand myself. I think it is a mix of my visual learning style along with my love of words and a little bit strangeness of being me.

I tend to do it in spates and I haven't for months until I went to the Earth Expo and got stuck in an incredibly long presentation which wasn't very relevant to me. While my friend took notes and asked questions I watched as the words the lecturer said became print before my eyes. Having Alder around most of the time is enough of a mind focus that I don't need to do the word thing. But I'm guessing driving cross-country I'll have a few moments of visual verbalism.

No comments: