We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Aug 6, 2007

The Bird Bag






Over the last two years I have been trying to learn how to sew. Actually it is more like getting over my fear of sewing. I know how to physically sew but for some reason it has always intimidated me. Give me knitting needles and yarn and you have a happy woman but stick me in front of a sewing machine and I get all shy. I am literally the only one of my friends (including my husband) who doesn't happily spend time with their sewing machine.

When we were setting up a room for Alder we had a couch that was perfect but ugly. A friend helped me to sew a couch cover. It was scary but not difficult. Slowly since then she has coaxed me into new projects. Finally I have done one on my own.

It started with a lino print I was doing for a swap. I loved how it came out and wanted to make something for my self with it. I had the fabric left from the couch and another random scrap (while I am a nervous sewer I love finding fabric). Thus the Bird Bag became. I like that the handles are long enough that I can wear it across not just on my shoulder.

No comments: