We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Aug 10, 2007

More on the Move

As our days in Denver diminish I find myself distracting myself with thoughts of colors. Specifically I am pondering wall colors for our new home. It isn't a very practical thing to think about when I've seen the place but it keeps my mind away from the larger issues that moving brings.

I've come to terms with leaving Colorado, but I think the sorrow of leaving friends will come later, probably on those days this fall when all I want is a long walk with a friend. The other issues are more practical starting a business, finding a part-time (from home?) job, money, making new friends, yet they are all their in the back of my mind.

At this point it really is better to just think about paint and curtains, did I mention the curtains? Tomorrow is the beginning of the good byes. We are going out to eat with good friends for the last time. This isn't meant to sound mopey. Just trying to contextualizing for myself.

The funny part is I look at my last entry here and I see that in some ways we are still just living here. There isn't really a transition period like with other moves. Kevin graduates and three days later we drive out of here. Period.

So many of our moves have involved weeks of in between time where we would stay with people in neither place. These were always the most difficult for us. This time we are jumping in no time to ponder and doubt our choices only time to do.

Of course this past month we have had to abandon any semblance of simple living we had going on. Between the heat, Kevin's boards and moving we've spent too much time in the car and not enough outside or in the kitchen. Hopefully we can quickly regain our balance when we land in Vermont.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who has moved a lot over the past few years I can really relate to your posts. We are moving yet again for hopefully the last time in a few more months, and reading your blog is getting me thinking about things. It's quite a rollercoaster, isn't it? Saying goodbye to friends is the hardest part.
I can understand totally how the mind turns to things like paint colors and curtains--little details that are completely controllable--during times of uncertainty. I hope your move to Vermont goes smoothly and that you are greeted warmly by your new neighbors. I imagine autumn in Vermont would be a beautiful, magical time of year.
best of luck to you and I am looking forward to reading about your new adventures :)

spinninglovelydays said...

Hello. I stumbled upon your blog through the Unschooling Blogs Web Ring. I really enjoy reading your posts. I suppose right now is a difficult time, but it seems that you have some great things up ahead. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures. :)

Ivy

PS. Your son is adorable!