We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Jan 31, 2007

Wishes

It's been another snowy day in Denver. That used to be a fun thing now it just means it's cold and the roads are crappy. I had the day to myself today so I went out to get some writing done. The fates were against me. When I finally could settle myself down to write my nose kept running and I kept sneezing. Then two guys had a meeting right next to me.

Normally the meeting would not have bothered me but since I didn't bring our CD player, yes some of us still use those outdated contraptions because we can't go spending a months groceries on an iPod, so I was privy to a conversation about a compilation of essays about (this is what I got from the conversation) Judaism and Homosexuality with a focus on the bible and religious practice. It was an interesting conversation to listen to but it had little to do with Hannah's discovery of the photo of her great uncle or Eli's day at the settlement house preparing for his play. Yes they are Jewish characters and one might even debate Eli's sexuality however they were not enhanced by the conversation.

So this brings me to a completely petty section of my brain. The part that goes around saying, I want I want I want. Luckily there is another part that says, now now now you have to wait for that. But in honnor of feeling icky I'm going to tell you all about the list of material wants that float around my head.

I want an iPod, so that I don't have to listen to other people talking while I write.

I want a CD player for our car, or at least a working cassette player.

I want a DVD player that doesn't stop playing movies in the middle.

I want to be driving something other than a minivan. I love Rosy but well I don't want to be a minivan driver.

I want to go out for sushi at Japon with Kevin and not share a plate.

I want a bike trailer so that I can bike with Alder, although with all this snow that isn't too useful right now.

That felt good, it was totally selfish and yet didn't at all harm or inconvenience anyone, sort of a anti cold venting. I promise I won't do that again, for at least a year.

No comments: