We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Jan 15, 2007

Weekend Adventures

Alder is asleep on my parent's bed while I type. We've had quite a weekend, in retrospect it was too much social time fore Alder. But it was a lot of fun and we did quite a bit.

Amanda picked us up on Friday in New York and we put the baby seat in her car and headed north to Hudson for lunch. We found a small lunch restaurant to eat at and asked the waitress and the one couple that was in the restaurant why we should move there. They were more than willing to tell us the reasons why Hudson was a good place to live. When I told them that my husband was an acupuncturist the waitress said that most people were currently driving to Kingston for appointments. In fact the cook came out to ask if she could put her name down on a list for an appointment nest Autumn.

Hudson is a small city, 7000 or so but very urban. You can tell that it is an old river city most of the houses are brick or clapboard and are all very close together on the small grid along the river. Down from the restaurant was the Columbia County Council on the Arts. I went in and talk to them. The woman was very helpful and talked to us about the town and all the artists in the area. I'll admit Hudson is sounding better and better from what I saw from our brief visit.

Saturday was a lazy lazy day we stayed at the house in Cummington all day cooking a feast for dinner. I taught Sarah how to bake bread while our stew stewed. The whole meal was a communal effort. Four of us cooked while Iris played "grandma" with Alder. I haven't stayed over there intentionally in years (we got iced in last Thanksgiving) and it was really nice to be there when I woke up with everyone already there.

My dad and Pat came over for dinner that night and we had a great family dinner that lasted for hours. Somehow Alder lasted through the whole thing. Even though he had spent most of the day working on his crawling skills, backwards.

No comments: