We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Jan 24, 2007

Reaching Towards Change

Well unless the earth is found to be flat, or rental rates are well out of budget we have decided to move to Hudson NY! Kevin has decided that he is willing to move out there site unseen as long as I do a bunch of leg work when I go out for my 15th High School reunion. The ease and comfort which we reached this decision with has the same feeling as many of the good choices we have made in the past. Like moving into this house instead of tying to buy that other place there is an obviousness about it that feels right.

The choice has to do with economics of the community, how the city is laid out, connivance to New York City and Plainfield as well as being very close to the Gunks and not too far from the Adirondacks (I can finally finish my 46er's.) This sounds so dry written like this but I'm sure over the next few months I'll elaborate.

For me making this choice, really any choice, is good. I don't feel like I'm just hanging on loose strands of cob web waiting for the spider to come along and attach me. There is a next step to our lives one that I can start to organize and daydream about.

It is important to note to those of you who doubt his feelings about this move to know that Kevin is the one who came up with this idea. Not to think about Hudson but to actually move there without spending so much time wandering about the general region trying to find a place. He likes big things in life to be simple (details can be elaborate). My description and pictures from my and Amanda's visit as well as showing him things on the web helped. To be honest I think one of the big draws to him is the proximity to the Gunks with all their climbing.

What does this mean practically? Well I can now really start to carefully plan the business. By knowing where we are going to be I can find out specific city and state requirement as well as start pricing what things would will cost there (I was not looking forward to writing up three different plans for three different states). I can also start actually contacting people about rentals for the business and a home. I am such a planning geek.

The other thing this effects is the Eli and Hannah story. I am going to have to do all Colorado research in the next few months, especially work on the writing of the places. Oh darn I guess that means I'll have to take a trip out to the western slope soon, research ya know.

Who would have ever thought that I'd go back to being a New Yorker?

No comments: