We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Jan 4, 2007

The Evil S Word

From Sippy cup


We went out to return something at a baby store and in exchange got a pack of cups. That got me thinking about something I wrote about four years ago (see below) it seems different now. I don't ever think we'll be parents like they all are but I've had more than my fair share of baby conversations. I don't think you realize before hand how babies change you. The changes aren't compromises just adjusting to a new life.

My life has been reduced to sippy cups please save me!!

I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving. I am utterly jealous. While the Bloomfield’s are wonderful people I found myself discussing sippy cups and bedtimes with them for almost an hour!!!! Please tell me that I am not crazy that these were not the discussions that I grew up around. And that seven pm was bed time for four year olds. I would have rather been enjoying spare ribs (why are they spare… if they are spare can I have the spares) and talking about things that have more meaning than sippy cups. Even if I had been reduced to old ways, like hog tying cousins it would have been more comfortable than being around all these perfect people. I revel in difference and they are not different.,, okay so that isn’t totally true, Karen and Kevin are within our realms. So we did have fun hanging out with her. But Roger, who really isn’t so normal, puts on a good face for the relatives. I mean how many 60 year olds do you know who climb mountains solo n the snow? But I am digressing from my sippy cup dilemma. I while I am not currently actively looking to be pregnant I am aware that it is something that will be in my life in the next five years. I feel that I need to work on all of my anti-sippy cup mechanisms. It is bad enough that Kevin and I, through our friends, know a great deal about toddler videos. But at least with Luke (said baby) our enjoyable time with his parents was focused on arts and music, not SIPPY CUPS. I am afraid that this may be an epidemic of sorts. Any help that you can offer on reducing my susceptibility to the afore mentioned would be very much desired…. Stacey

No comments: