We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Jan 9, 2007

Travel Day

What a long day getting to New York yesterday was. I didn't want to get stuck in traffic so we left at 7:15 in the morning. Kevin pulled away from DIA at eight in the morning. I figured we had about an hour and a half until we loaded. HA! The plane didn't load until after 11am. Alder and I got to know a certain patch of carpet by the windows.

Rather than asking for all parents with young children first they called me by name, Alder was the only baby on the flight. He was great, first he slept for the first half of the flight and then we just played for the rest. There was a brief period as we flew over Lake Erie that he was cranky but that soon turned into swells of happiness. I feel bad for the woman in front of us whose seat he kept kicking. When we got off the plane we were given many compliments about what a good baby he had been.

Grandpa met us at the baggage claim and we were out of there in a half hour from the time I landed, impressive since we waited until everyone was off the plane to get up. Usually on the ride in from La Guardia I love watching everything roll by but with my Dad and Alder in the car I was focused on what was going on in the cab. Arriving on our usually windy block I almost took the door off of the taxi getting out. I forgot that our block is one on the windiest in the city, it had been windy all the way in so I should have expected the way Alder almost was lifted from my arms. I'm sad to say that the elevators were changed in the building (more on a different post).
Pat and Cynthia stole Alder as soon as we walked in the front door. It's only been a month since Pat has seen him but Cynthia has never met Alder (more later on this too). While they played, cooed and observed I wandered the house like a drone, making sure everything was still there, supposedly I used to do this when I was just crawling every time we went away for a weekend.

Alder is bored so I'll finish this later.

Stacey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey. Are you having fun times in NYC? I like your thread sketches alot on the other blog. Alot. Sam wants to maybe have Valentine's getaway in NYC weekend of the 19th, I think. He wanted me to ask you if your dad's offer for people to come stay still stands? Sent some skirt patterns to your house for when you get back. Figured they would be good projects if we get snowed in again.