We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Apr 22, 2007

The Medicine That is Me; Self Portrait Challenge




Posted by Picasa
After Alder was born and the three of us drifted off to sleep in our bed in the early hours of day light. One of the midwives took home my placenta and dried it to make placenta medicine. This grayish powder once was a beautiful organ that fed my son for the months as he grew within me. Kevin saw it while the midwife bagged it up in the kitchen and he said that it looked like a picture of a broad branched tree, an alder tree.
With this challenge I thought that I would show a piece of me that was no longer inside of me. Yet it still has great power as medicine, when I am sick or hurting I take some and it strengthens me. Having Alder has changed my body, I ache more and am stiff but between the enjoyment I have from being active with him I am determined to become strong and energetic again. Between conscious care and the placenta I am starting to feel myself again.

1 comment:

kimmy said...

Wow! I didn't know you could do that with placenta. I have one in my freezer waiting to be planted with a tree and one was stolen by a racoon...long story.

Great self portrait Mama!