We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Apr 13, 2007

Lots of craft and a poem

Alder is nine months old today. In theory this should be the point when we could say "Oh look he's now been outside of me for as long as he was inside of me." But of course that is not true. This little boy of ours isn't one for rushing things. He likes holding on and being held. So much so that he hung out in my belly baking just a little longer. So while he is nine months old today we have another three weeks almost until his even.

So what did I do to celebrate? I took the day off!

Since Alder has been born I have not spent time alone with another adult. The days that I have had off I usually am writing or doing errands. But today I spent with my friends Trish. She is a sewer extraordinare and has been trying to teach me to sew for about a year.

Todays project was a dress. We spent half the time at the fabric stores and the other cutting and sewing. By five the dress wasn't done so I came home empty handed but we have another date to finish it on Wednesday.

Speaking of projects I seem to be in project mode. I'm finishing the felted bag for my MIL and Kevin's sweater. There is a sweater that I want to knit for myself (the first one I haven't given away), and I have a stack of old paperbacks to transform into wallets by next weekend.

It feels good to be making things!

And a poem for the day

the sky a silver
dissonance by the correct
fingers of April
resolved

into a
clutter of trite jewels


now like a moth with stumbling

wings flutterts and flops along the
grass collides with trees and
houses and finally,
butts into the river

E.E. Cummings

No comments: