We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Mar 12, 2007

Swimming

In the last week Alder has done a lot of changing. Not only is he crawling at full speed and climbing stairs, he is standing up holding onto anything that can reach. Suddenly our house seems very small. Luckily his development waited for the weather to improve. So in an effort to get out of the house as much as possible and to give him lots of things to do, which actually means new places to do the same things, we went to the pool.

One of the rec centers near our house has a zero entry pool. It is a perfect place to take a crawler who likes water. At first just sat in the water while he crawled all over me, but it gets cold quickly for like Alder like creatures so we went over to where it was deeper and I held him as we went back and forth across the pool. One direction he would stand on one of my legs as I walked us. Then on the way back he would "float" on his back and kick. He loved going under the beam of sunshine and would twist to see it every time.

I tried to get him to blow bubbles but when I showed him how he just thought it was the funniest thing. What was I thinking? Alder has never gone for the imitation game. Anyway I might not have gotten the bubbles but he did hold his breath every time I dunked his head. Not bad for his second time in the pool at eight months (well eight months tomorrow).

Then we came back here and he played in the rocks that are our yard while I weeded. He went to sleep a tired happy baby.

No comments: