We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Mar 9, 2007

First Hints of Spring

I love when spring feels like it is really settling in, especially after winters as snowy as ours has been. But March and April are those tricky months so I know that the snow is not done and that there will be the day that I go out dressed for sixty when it starts to snow. Alder and I can get out and wander. The last few days have been in the sixties so we have been taking advantage of the weather (except yesterday when I was randomly sick and spent my time sleeping or going to the acupuncturist).

Wednesday we spent an hour or two in the front yard. Alder has figured out that only hard things are good to put in his mouth. This means we're just eating rocks and sticks, the pointy things are quickly disappeared. Alder is truly a summer boy he loved the chance to be naked in the sun.
Alder his new crawling skills.

He wouldn't be my son if he didn't know a tasty rock when he saw one.
Now lets explore the rocks.
Today we walked down to the river, I think I was getting ahead of myself since it is still running high and cold with spring run off. Instead we visited the REI and used part of our dividend on a rain jacket for him (baby's first piece of gear) and to play in their play ground. Afterwards we walked along the river for a bit and then over to a quiet square where Alder could crawl around while I ate. On the way home we stopped by a friends house where Alder spent some time chasing his bottle around the slanted patio.
At the REI playground.
Alder gets up close with the art.

Here's a mini video of Alder VIDEO

And this is for Sam who couldn't be here for the walk... we love you Sam!!!!!!

Now were home and tired. Alder is a sticky dirty tired kid who does not want to go to sleep and I am in a tired, sore (7 mile walk), ready for tired boys to be sleeping, sort of mood.

End note: Alder ate a bowl of beans and a bowl of yogurt this morning, it worked we to keep him happy all day. When Kevin came home he just fed him a ramekin full of yogurt and apple sauce. This kid loves to eat real food.

No comments: