We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Mar 3, 2007

Day 2

We got up early and all piled in to Mary's (Kevin's mom) car. She happily camped herself in back with Alder giving us the keys. It was so sunny that we had to stop in Villa Grove and get a pair of sunglasses. It was one of those cafe/motel/general stores that had a little bit of everything but not a lot of anything. My choices of glasses we for the most part hideous with Dramamine green lenses or mirrored glass. 2/3s of the rack was empty. I found a serviceable pair that at least kept the sun out of my eyes.

The drive from Salida to Santa Fe on 285 is fairly desolate. Other than Alamosa towns were few and tiny. Once we crossed into New Mexico they virtually disappeared until we reached Ojo Caliente, a small town with a big hot spring and inn. We stopped for lunch, Mary had forgotten a bathing suit. The stop served to give Kevin and I an idea for a more romantic trip some time soon.

Once we got to Santa Fe and checked into the hotel we found that the small pool was heated. Even though it was only about 50 out we took Alder swimming. It was one of those moments when the reality of being a parent fills me. Something about being in the water with my son and husband that made it all feel so real. I no longer feel like we are faking this parenting thing. Yes some of our methods and beliefs are unconventional but we don't doubt what we are doing.

Later that afternoon we walked downtown and wandered the shops for a little while and then had dinner in a Spanish restaurant. The food was really good but the Hot Chocolate was amazing. Unfortunately my intestines were not as happy as the rest of me and I ended my night with them hurting. Since we were in a motel room I indulged in watching some Law and Order (one of the few shows I miss not having a TV).

No comments: