We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Feb 11, 2007

A Stroll in Grain Valley

You know when you get one of those healthy multi grain rolls, sometimes called crunchy rolls? Well those little yellow crunchies are millet. For a long time I have searched out these rolls primarily for the wonderful crunch that those tiny beebees make. I've even started to add them to my own bread. Well today I met a whole different face to millet.

I was contemplating dinner and didn't want rice or couscous. But dinner needed a grain. So I went wandering in the dark forest that is our grains shelf. The trail was a wandering one. The first grain that I met along the way was quinoa. I respectful little dude with a Saturnal ring around it's belly. But for as kind and decent quinoa is he's a little boring. Not the sort of guy you invite for a road trip. We said our goodbyes and I continued on my way.

Next I encountered old bulgar. Now bulgar is fine if you give her good company. She a wonderful counterpart to something strong like feta or lemon but on her own she's quite a shell. Not only is she a bit flaky but she is quite gruff too. As she was alone on the trail she barely even said hello- just a grunt.

I was heading down the valley trail wondering if I would end up inviting good old couscous since she's easy and tasty. It's been said by some that she's so fast that even her kisses lack virginity. That being said couscous is a good friend, solid and true, I've known her for years.

I was lost in a memory of lamb and couscous when I heard a small cough. I looked up to see millet. Millet I said, nice to see you but shouldn't you be over in Bakingtown? Why no no he said, that's just a part time gig. I spend most of my time here among these grains.

My face must have betrayed my surprise because he continued. Actually, I am one of the most popular grains in Africa and Asia, hearty and tasty. While I love millet's spunk I was a little surprised by he forwardness. I was used to him as the punch line, not the whole story. But he continued on, you should give me a go I'm done up like quinoa but there's more to me than that sorry old grain.

How could I say no. And he was right I'm now in love with a new grain... Millet. He's got a lot of depth of flavor slightly sweet and nutty. Like couscous he is supposed to be there to accent the main dish, but both of them don't realize that there is pleasure in eating them alone, especially if their cooked in broth. I'm not giving up couscous but millet is up there in my heart now.

No comments: