We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Feb 15, 2007

Finding My Flow

I've been thinking a lot about my writing lately. I've been trying to push forward on the Eli and Hannah story but it has gotten a bit stale lately. I still love the plot and the characters but I feel like I am not getting anywhere as I write it. I think it might be time to shelve it for a little while and just stretch my writing muscles.

Part of my need for change is that I haven't had much time to write since before the Holidays. It seems like all of my free time, when I get any, is spent on other things. This means that when I do sit down to write it doesn't flow naturally. This is what I want to get back. The rhythm of writing where hours can disappear while you are caught between your mind and the paper. That's why I write to be in that 'zone'.

Of course it is easier to procrastinate on project in particular than to move forward on less concrete project. But that is the direction that I am heading. I took "A Writer's Book of Matches" out of the library and I'm going to use it daily for the next few weeks. If I find that the prompts are helping me to reenter writing then I might actually buy the book.

No comments: