We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Oct 19, 2007

What Home Looks Like Right Now

I promised a while ago to show what our home looks like. It finally really feels like it's ours, no more boxes to unpack or things to reorganize.

My mother-in-law gave these to Alder, I've always loved the blocks, being magnets is a bonus.



This was my birth quilt made by the mother of a friend of my parents. She was a seamstress and sew this entire thing out of scraps and by hand. Since I left home at 18 I have always had it hanging in my room. Back during the chaotic time of college I was spend hours decompressing by just looking at the quilt and listening to NPR. I am always finding new things about it, and it still brings me calmness during times of stress.


The wooden things on the wall are saints carved from the wood of wagons during the 1960's when they were being phased out in Sicily, my parents brought them home after one of their trips.


This is our first piece of artwork we bought. It's done by Denver artist Kelsey Dalton.


I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had acquired a cut paper piece at a flea market, this is it.


This is Alder's space. It's down stairs near the kitchen. The landlord called it an office but since it has a door into the kitchen and one into the dinning room it has become his place to play and hang out, we keep all his stuff down there so the bedroom isn't too stacked with stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely place! And neat as a pin :)

Your quilt is just gorgeous. What a beautiful gift for a new baby. I wonder if the friend who sewed it by hand knew it would be so dearly treasured. that is so cool.