We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Oct 23, 2007

Green Elephants

For some reason ever since we have moved I have been thinking about elephants. Not so much in their realistic glory or the sort that live in Disney movies but the sort that come out of a history of Babar (even with the colonial bent to the tales) and the introduction to the Little Prince. Primarily I have been thinking about blue elephants. A powdery periwinkle. But since all I have in my stash right now is a powdery green it had to do. This is the green elephant bag. He is going to have a home at Seven Mountain until someone takes him home. It was a new sort of bag for me with a flannel lining and made out of suit wool but he just sort of came together over an evening.



These evenings in the studio (the grand name I call my room) are so needed after crazy days of painting and business forms. They add to the wonderful rhythm of the evenings with Alder's bedtime routine then sneaking off to the studio for public radio and fabric. Kevin's usually in his room doing calligraphy (Chinese) or reading about herbs (Chinese) and we visit back and forth. It's a moments rest in a life that seems to have become quite busy.

What shall I make tonight?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that bag! Seven Mountains is going to be suh-weeeet!

My son is a big Babar fan, and my husband is kind enough to indulge him even though he is deeply offended by the subtext. The things we do for our kids. My son would love that bag, though. He always wants to carry a purse.

I am so behind on your blog. You and Bella Dia and some others "fell off" the bottom of my typelist because it's in reverse alphabetical order and I only had it set to show 20 blogs, or something like that. Anyway, I am catching up. You have been busy I see.

I love the pictures of your little monkey. what fun! I hope Alder had a happy halloween just monkeying around.