We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Jul 11, 2007

SPC Engaging With the Earth

When I was young I went to a camp in the Adirondack Mountains in New York. When the mountains were in reach and we were driving up highway 73 I was be shaking like a dog with excitement. As soon as the car would pull into the camp I would run from the car checking to make sure all my favorite spots were still there. It wasn't until I had sat on one of the boulders did I feel grounded.

As an adult I still feel a connection to rocks, of all sizes. Having a rock beneath or a stone in my hand makes me feel more alive. I even have a small stone from years ago that I still lay on my tongue and get a certain calmness. Some people are enlivened by scenery or animals for me it is the stones.

2 comments:

Melanie Margaret said...

Great photo and memory!

Anonymous said...

Stace,

Picturesare loveluy and funny. How do we extract them from your blog to put into as file on our desktop? Any thoughts?

EIR