We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Jul 3, 2007

SPC Challenge Water Comforts


I have always been drawn to water. Even as a child I understood this. Not only do I find being in it/ on it restorative and exciting I also am comforted by it both through physical contact and watching and listing to it. This photo was taken while I was in labor. I took nine hot showers over 22 hours before giving birth to my son in a pool. His first birthday is next week I can hardly believe all of that happened a year ago.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful picture! It so wonderful to see, hear about and know that more and more women are choosing to give birth in water. Is the birthing of a new freer generation!

Melanie Margaret said...

Wow.
What a captured moment.
Life goes by so fast doesn't it.
a Hot shower always comforts me too.

Anonymous said...

wonderful memories and photo! I labored in the shower and tub with my second child and it was heavenly!

Julie
http://www.xanga.com/juliepersons

Deb R said...

This is a beautiful photo.
And happy first birthday (a bit early) to your son!

Anonymous said...

both our children were born with a water tub nearby. Our daughter was born in the tub (although we had to run back and forth with buckets from next door because our hot water ran out). And then our son was born 4 years later out of the tub (which sprang a leak!).

Logistics aside – anne swore (literally!) that the water birth the first time round made an absolutely massive difference to pain and rhtyhm. It also seemed such a natural way for our bub to come into the world.

Miriam said...

A great photo! What a wonderful memory captured!

Anonymous said...

hey grrl. just perusing the self-portrait blog and came by. i love this photograph. it conveys your strength and feminity all at once.

amelia said...

What an amazing capture! I labored in my bathtub through "transition" and then delivered in my bed, just over one year ago... *sniff* time flies!!

Water was super soothing to me through my strong contractions. I can almost feel that through this picture!

Amelia