We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Jul 17, 2007

36 Days left Empathy and Quilts

I have been wanting to post for a few days now but I keep putting it off because I managed to clean up the camera to somewhere obvious, which is as everyone knows is never an obvious place.
Of course this means no birthday party pictures. So on with life I guess.

Yesterday was a lesson in empathy for Alder. We we over at our friends' house getting
ready to go to the pool. L was getting her diaper changed and was crying. When Alder heard that and saw what was happening his face went into a pout and he began to cry as well at L's Mama. While I don't like to see him cry it was interesting to see what he chose to react to... one of his least favorite activities.

The other piece of empathy yesterday was the butterflies in my stomach while Kevin took his exit exam for school. I can't imagine being tested on four years of information in a 200 multiple choice question test. Of course he was more nervous today when he couldn't remember if he signed one of the sections.

So the other reason that I haven't been blogging as much is that I got myself sucked into a quilt project for Alder. It started with some embroidered squares that I didn't know what to do with. Then I thought a little quilt would be nice. So I was working on a simple 16 piece quilt happily embroidering pictures and words on to various squares. Yesterday I was cleaning up around the house and realized that we already have umm... four baby quilts, including one that was from when I was born. So I decided to grow the quilt to be for a twin size bed. So I raided our fabric box and found some more pieces but I am missing a lot. I went on line and fell in love with this and this fabric. So now I have to cross my fingers and hope they don't disapear before my replacement credit card shows up.

No comments: