We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Jun 10, 2007

We Have Made a Choice

Well I'm back at my father's apartment after week of checking out towns. It was a long trip with lots of driving but completely worth while. We have made a choice. It's funny how the whole thing happened. We kept enjoying every town we came to but I knew somehow that when we were in the right town it would be obvious, and it was.

Saratoga Springs was to hip for us.

Rutland was great but the population isn't very receptive to acupuncture.

Brattleboro already has six, besides the downtown is very noisy.

But Bennington is quite, full of interesting people and their acupuncturist recently retired!

The way that Bennington became obvious was completely fortuitous. My dad and Alder were waiting for Kevin and I in a bookstore. A couple comes up to him to tell comment on how cute Alder was. This leads them to having a long conversation that lasts after Kevin and I come in. After a while I feel guilty that there are five of us just standing there so I buy a card. While I am paying I talk with the women about how we are looking for a place. At first she is a little reticent. But when I tell her why we are looking how I work from the internet and Kevin is starting a practice she softened and spent time suggesting people we should talk to.

There is an added pleasure with Bennington. We knew that most places that we were looking at would have some of the outdoor activities we like. So it was an extra bonus when we bought a river guide and a trail guide to find that we will be right near two class 2 and 3 rivers as well as a lot of hiking.

It feels a little strange finally knowing where we are heading, after over a year of research and daydreaming now we can really get down to the business of moving and planning. I am surprisingly placid about the entire thing. There is a lot of work to do in the next eight weeks but I am excited to do it.

I'll have lots of pictures in a few days.

No comments: