We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Nov 26, 2007

A Smile Needed a Smile Given


Sweet Milk Creek rd
Originally uploaded by Ink Spots
Saturday felt truly like a Sunday, for those of you who don't experience this Sundays are difficult days. I think it comes from a childhood of spending weekends in the Berkshires and having to return to the city on Sundays. I felt as though I was being ripped from my soul (this may have something to do with the fact that I now live forty miles from that house).

Anyway I woke up Saturday and it felt decidedly Sunday-ish. I couldn't shake the feeling and even ended up crying over something small and silly. Basically I was useless, which with the shop opening in a week was not a good thing. Kevin being the sweetheart that he is didn't complain when I told him that I needed to get out of there (or maybe he was happy to be rid of me in my mood). So I drove all the way to Albany, there was some fabric I needed to finish the quilts. On the way to Albany from our house we pass this sign and it always makes me smile. I would love to live on a road called Sweetmilk Creek. As soon as I saw it I started to feel better.

On the way home from the fabric store (yes I go forty minutes for fabric) I stopped at Spillin' the Beans in Troy for coffee and chocolate mousse and a luxurious hour of reading my book. I drifted into Market Block Books I love book stores where when you ask for book advice they take you on a full tour of the shop. I walked out with a copy of The Lace Reader, I can't wait to start it.

By the time I was heading home in that winter afternoon light I felt healed and ready for what is coming.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Ah yes, the long drive for fabric. I get most of my cotton prints locally, thank goodness. But all corduroy and jean material I have to drive 45 minutes for. Glad you got out by yourself. It helps, doesn't it?!

Good luck with the store!

Gone said...

Sounds like we have both had healing journeys in the last few days. Good luck with the store opening. Advice from one store owner to another, customers always remember the little genuine acts of customer service that are unexpected.

jessamyn said...

stacey...so glad you wandered on to my blog.
i am happy to be visiting you here.
your afternoon sounds wonderful!:) especially the chocolate mousse! yum!