We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Nov 16, 2007

Meet Erroll

So the other day I posted this picture of my sewing machine. Little did I know that the old horse was about to go into a quick decline. First I noticed the fabric wasn't moving smoothly, then the bobbin winder stopped working, then the feed dogs began to move unevenly and finally the electric began to cut out at random moments. After it's last seizure we bowed our heads and said good bye.

With so much to get done for the shop we needed a new machine, and quickly. So I headed up to Rutland, yes I had to go fifty miles for a machine. And this what I came home with:


I've named him Erroll, he's a Viking 775 that was 'previously loved' by a woman who upgraded for one of those really high tech models. I'm already in love. Who knew you could actually listen to the radio while you sewed. He's strong and does so much more than our old machine.

1 comment:

Gone said...

In a previous time I used to go visit sewing factories in Eastern Europe (Bulgaria/Romania) quite a lot through work. I used to find some of the oldest sewing machines imaginable, these things were made by Noah's grandson but they were exquisite pieces of machinery that looked fantastic as well as obviously being able to stand the test of time, something much of today's equipment seems unable to do.