We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Oct 8, 2008

alone in the morning

Window view
The bright blue rental car is packed with three suitcases and they pulled out of the driveway about a half hour ago. Then Kevin left for work, the car protesting as he started it. Now the house is still I am alone with the autumn on a gray morning. From my desk I can see Morning Doves play on the wires across the street, dipping in and out of my view through the condensation. My hands are cold, making me think of the fingerless gloves I want to knit and through that to my friend who is pregnant across the pass. I wish I could be sitting with her talking about nothing like we did last summer. But the autumn is a time of selfish solitude for me, I love the transition from life to slumber I revel in the going darkness.

Tonight we will go on our first date since we moved from Colorado. Then we'll come home and tumble into bed, no one will join us in the middle of the night, no one will come in the morning and list all of our body parts and ask for kisses on his. But for one night and morning it is okay.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

A beautiful post!
I've been thinking along the lines of autumn being the time to crawl into myself also - not shutting out the babes, just living deeper under my skin, seeking the warmth, companionship, and wisdom my spirit offers to the rest of my slowing Self.

Yours was beautifully said!
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Sorry about not leaving out your stuff when I dramatically was whisked off to the hospital but let me just say...you HAVE to come and get your gift or let me send it to you! Hint. Hint.