We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Jan 19, 2008

A Week of Making

Zig-zag light wool scarf. This is probably my favorite piece I have ever made, the fabric is so soft and light that I wanted to find a use that would let you see that, so I sewed two sides together so that it would seem somewhat hollow, I added the zig-zag so it would lay flat without completely loosing the hollowness. Now I need to find more of this fabric (it was in a sale bin at a store hours from here).


Just a wool tote with a pocket made from fun Japanese fabric, it's lined in flannel with another pocket on the inside as well.


I got a little creative here, this bag is made of two pieces of wool each that have part of the handle so that they attach at an angle. Because of that the outside material is frayed because there isn't a neat way to hem it without twisting it (not a design I am happy with). The pocket was late night embroidery without a drawing, meaning it's a little strange, the flowers look a little like palm trees.

So that's what I've been up to with those nightly creativity sessions. I have a few more things in the starting phase, as well as a trip to New York a week from now solo (as in two days and three nights of Mama by herself, leaving Alder for the first time). I need a break and I'm going to wander around to shops similar to ours and get ideas, and yes there are a few fabric stores in my plans...possibly a museum as well. But that's week from now.

3 comments:

weddingproject-us said...

The scarf is lovely! I like the tote too. You'll have such a nice trip.

Christy said...

Looks like you've been very productive. I love the bags!

*camerashymomma* said...

i love angle of that pocket, with the edge turned like that, very clever!

enjoy your mama time in NY! wow, i'm sure it'll go so fast with moments of longing and complete freedom from your mothering responsiblities. it's smart to have a game plan of fun activities! (i'll live vicariously through your adventures) don't forget to bring the camera! :)