We are in desperate need of food shopping, the only thing in our fridge other than condiments is a five pound bag of carrots and some goat cheese. Not exactly the makings for a great dinner. Luckily our freezer always has some long forgotten-gotten on sale-because who doesn't need an extra pound-of something. And our pantry is well stocked with grains and beans, both dried and canned. With some creativity, and a glass of wine, I managed to fake an Indian-French fusion dinner (okay the fusion thing is pushing it but we thought it was funny).
So here I offer you our hearty dinner. The meal isn't vegetarian but it could easily be tweaked to work that way.
1 cup short brown rice
1 cup yellow lentils (they are the orange ones)
2 sausages (yes it's nice they make chicken ones but for cooking pork is the only way to go)
1/2 cup of raisins
salt, to taste,
teaspoon of salt
1. Saute three cloves of garlic in olive oil until you can smell them.
2. Add sausage and let sizzle until they brown.
3. Meanwhile, put the brown rice with 2 1/2 cups of water in a pot (you made need to add more depending on the pot), cook on medium high.
4. Add lentils to sausage and garlic and saute for a few minutes.
5. Add a cup of water and the raisins, and stir the pot occasionally when the water boils down add more until the lentils are falling apart.
6. When you add the second cup of water to the lentils add the salt and the rosemary.
When you take the lentils off they should look like this.
Adirondack Dress in Autumn
8 years ago