We can attempt to teach the things that one might imagine the earth would teach us: silence, humility, holiness, connectedness, courtesy, beauty, celebration, giving, restoration, obligation and wildness.
David Orr from "Earth in Mind"

Dec 13, 2007

That Mailing Thing

You'd figure with how much the mail has been running my life lately that I would remember that I have to get things in the mail early to get to our niece and nephew. It dawned on me yesterday. So there was a long night of making and thinking. Oh there was also some emergency knitting, how can someone who knits so many hats not have one for herself? Now I do. I decided to make my nieces bag with one big padded shoulder strap so she can wear it easily and a giant pocket for pencils and such since she loves to do art. Making the bag was a little sentimental, I used the last of the fabric that was part of my first sewing project. I still have some of the birds left but the solid color is gone.

I hate taking pictures of myself but I wanted to record that I am actually able to make a hat that is long enough without having to flip it around at the end and knit it back the wrong way to cover ears. I haven't taken it off since I finished it last night, it's so soft made from Malabrigo hand spun yarn.

4 comments:

Erin said...

The hat looks terrific!! Love that bag fabric too :)

Trish said...

awwww! i still have tons of that solid fabric from the couch slipcover. i will send you some with my craft projects :)i think i want to try some engineer hats out of it.

Unknown said...

I think the bag strap is really clever. I've never thought of making a bag this way before. Think I'll try it! And the print is really lovely!

paintergirlFLA said...

check out those peeps. so cute. I really do love the hat too.